Mindfulness has been the subject of 1000’s of scientific studies in the last 30 years with proven results coming through in a variety of fields, particularly showing enhanced ability to be resilient to the things life throws up for us.
Over the past few decades, randomised controlled trials of 8 week mindfulness courses have shown that mindfulness based approaches are effective in managing stress, worry and anxiety, as well as improving general well being, sharpening attention and maintaining balance. The course will not only teach you ways to reduce stress, but also ways to become more tolerant, ‘stress hardy’ and resilient, so you are less thrown by life’s difficulties.
Most people completing an 8 week mindfulness course report that they gain benefits such as:
- Able to take time out of and get relief from preoccupations and worries
- Be less distracted and concentrate better
- Experience life more directly and step out of the relentless commentary of their thoughts
- Feel less stuck and drained
- Open up to the many possibilities to feel more alive, engaged and happy
- Disengage from automatic ways of thinking and choose alternate, wiser perspectives and actions
- Stop trying to solve problems that can’t be solved or force experience to be other than it is
- Tolerate difficult feelings, physical sensations and cope better with pain
- Be more compassionate
Many of these in turn provide enhanced well being. Mindfulness also has wide applications in the work place with studies showing that mindfulness promotes insightful problem solving, cultivating a positive attitude to perceived stress, increased attention and decreased ruminating thoughts, increased emotional intelligence and an observing attitude, all of which are helpful in today’s busy and often stressful workplaces.
Scientific references and some of the latest research on what practicing mindfulness really means in terms of your brain neurology and your well being will be posted here very shortly. In the mean time please go to www.mindfulnet.org and you can see all the latest scientific papers.